Monday, June 9, 2008

Re-using an old wheel barrow

A couple of weeks ago I found this old wheel barrow in the back of the garden. I thought it was a shame to let it go to waste so I thought I fix it up a little bit.

The frame was really rusty and needed sanding. The worst part of the job...

Then I painted the frame blue. I used some paint that is OK for covering sanded rusty surfaces.

To be able to use the wheel barrow again (decoratively) I made a wooden tray and gave the wood several layers of varnish. The last layer was a nice glossy one.

I think it looks nice and I'm happy to have used the wheel barrow instead of letting it go to waste!

2 comments:

kees said...

Looks very nice. I think I would have painted the wheel in a different colour, just to set it off against the overall blue. That way you put more emphasis on the fact that it is a wheelbarrow. Still, no complaints…

Vincent said...

@ Kees: I thought of that too. I was also thinking about painting the edges of the wood black. But that would've added another weekend to the project and I wanted to move on so...